The South Tyrolean countryside is crisscrossed by numerous trails that wind through vineyards undulating along rolling hills, through alöine forest and meadows, and along breathtaking mountain ridges.
The best months for hiking are March through November. In spring and autumn especially, the vineyards and orchards, and the forests of the high plateau put on a breathtaking natural spectacle.
A network of easy to medium difficulty hiking routes runs through a variety of altitudes. Charming country pubs provide plenty of opportunities for rest and refreshment in the midst of a long hike. A typical South Tyrolean lunch of Speck and Schüttelbrot (a crispy rye flatbread) gives you plenty of energy for the trail ahead.
Extreme hikers find their El Dorado, with all grades of difficulty, in the nearby Dolomites. Climbing paths and climbing tours entice adventurers to dizzying heights.
Organized Hiking Tours
Organized hiking tours are offered in most villages and towns in the southern part of South Tyrol.
Tramin offers special Culture and Vintner Hiking Weeks.
The Terlaner Asparagus Hikes give some insight into the secrets of cultivating asparagus.
A visit to a relaxing "Törggelen", combined with a hiking trip, is one of the highlights of the fall season.
- To the Maultasch ruins, ca. 1,5hrs, DA (Difference in altitude) 120m, easy
- To the Festenstein ruins, ca. 2hrs, DA 250m, easy
- To the Eislöchern, ca. 2hrs, DA 250m, easy
- To the Lake Montiggl, ca. 2,5hrs, DA 250m, easy
- To the Hocheppan/Boymont Castles, ca. 3hrs, DA 250m, easy
- To Altenburg, ca. 1,5hrs, DA 200m, easy
- "Rastenbachklamm", ca. 1,5hrs, DA 200m, medium difficult
- Around Lake Kaltern, ca. 4hrs, DA 50m, easy
- To the "Leuchtenburg", ca. 1,5hrs, DA350m, easy
- "Kastelazweg", ca. 1,5hrs, DA150m, easy
- To the "Gummerer", ca. 4hrs, DA 450m, easy
Guided walks through the Bletterbach with trained guides offer good company and an unforgettable outing in nature.
The Bletterbach Geo Park is situated in one of the most beautiful hiking areas in South Tyrol, with breathtaking views.
The new visitor center offers guided tours (price: adults €10,00, children up to 15 years €8,00)
Excursions (German and Italian); Guided English excursions only on request.
Tip: Good footwear is very important. In case of rain or foul weather, you are advised not to undertake a walk through the gorge because of the risk of falling rocks!